Deccan Odyssey – Luxury Trains in South India
Introduction to Deccan Odyssey:
The Deccan Odyssey is a special luxury train modelled on the Palace on Wheels to boost tourism on the Konkan route of the Indian Railways. The duration of the Deccan Odyssey tour is 7 nights, starting every Wednesday from Mumbai.
The Deccan Odyssey tour route starts in Mumbai and travels to Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg, Goa, Belgaum, Kolhapur, Pune, Nashik, Aurangabad, Ajanta-Ellora and then back to Mumbai.
The itinerary of the Luxury Train Deccan Odyssey tour is broadly as follows:
1st Day – Mumbai
2nd Day- Sindhudurg Nagari
3rd Day – Goa
4th Day – Kolhapur- New Palace, Museum, Bhavani Mandap Mahalaxmi Temple – Shalini Palace.
5th Day - Aurangabad-Daulatabad-Ellora Caves-Bibi-ka-Maqbara
6th Day – Chandrapur (Tadoba)
7th Day – Ajanta Caves / Nasik
8th Day – Mumbai.
Tariff for Luxury Train – Deccan Odyssey – Deccan Odyssey Tours Details:
For Peak season October 2011 to March 2012 Departs (per person per night)
|Occupancy||Deluxe Cabin||Presidential Suite|
|Single occupancy||USD 650||USD 950|
|Double occupancy||USD 500||USD 800|
|Triple occupancy||USD 425||USD 370 for extra occupancy|
For Lean season April 2011and September 2011 Departs (per person per night)
|Occupancy||Deluxe Cabin||Presidential Suite|
|Single occupancy||USD 500||USD 750|
|Double occupancy||USD 390||USD 650|
|Triple occupancy||USD 315||USD 300 for extra occupancy|
Note: Schedule is subject to change without notice.
Terms and Conditions
- Children under 5 years of age will be complimentary guests without bed. Half fare will be levied for Children 5-12 years of age
- 10% Surcharge extra for Christmas and New Year holiday season
- Any leg of minimum 2 nights (subject to availability) will be given at the above tariff. Thus, Goa-Mumbai (5 Nights) and Mumbai-Goa (2 Nights) segments will be sold as per availability.
However, if a person undertakes the day program at Goa and Mumbai, an extra USD 130 will be charged
- Service tax @ 2.58% will be charged on the gross ticket value
- Tariff is inclusive of travel, catering, conducted sightseeing, entrance fee at monuments, Parks, Palaces, cultural programs, boat ride
- The tariff is not inclusive of video cameras fees, liquor, laundry and other items of personal nature
- Booking is done at 20% advance deposit
- Balance payment is to be made 30 days prior to departure
- All cancellation must be informed by Fax/E-mail to the Central Reservation Division at Head Office, Mumbai. A letter of confirmation regarding the same must also be posted to the above mentioned address.
- No interruptions will be entertained through refund or adjustment whatsoever on the commencement of tour.
- If booking cancelled 60 days prior to departure – 5% of ticket value
- If booking cancelled 30-59 days prior to departure – 20% of ticket value
- If booking cancelled 15-29 days prior to departure – 50% of ticket value
- If booking cancelled less than 14 days prior to departure – 100% of ticket value
Facilities and Services in Deccan Odyssey Luxury Train
The Deccan Odyssey has 11 fully air-conditioned deluxe saloons with each having 4 twin-bedded cabins. The cabins are equipped with channel piped music, wall-to-wall carpeting, CD/MP3 player, attached washrooms, intercom, running hot and cold water, showers, and other amenities. Guests can also relish on the complimentary bottle of wine offered in all the guestrooms of the Deccan Odyssey.
The two restaurant cars in the Deccan Odyssey – Peshwa I and Peshwa II prepare a wide array of Indian, Goan, Chinese and Continental dishes with special emphasis on Maharashtrian delicacies. The meals are prepared with finest ingredients in very hygienic conditions.
A well stocked bar serves wines and spirits of International brands onboard. A complimentary bottle of wine is made available by the Deccan Odyssey in all the cabins.
There is gymnasium for health buffs and facility for Ayurvedic body massage with steam bath. So workout and rejuvenate your body and mind.
Deccan Odyssey is not just about leisure and luxury; it’s about business as well. There are conference facilities available onboard with best amenities for smooth run of business seminars and conferences while on the go.
Certain items of handicraft and some special souvenirs can be bought right onboard. You can also obtain a catalogue of Maharashtrian handicrafts.
- An arrival kit containing stationery items, information brochures, cards etc is provided to each guest. Additional items can be asked for any time. An attendant is always at your disposal.
- For physically challenged persons, special assistance is available such as crèches, wheel chairs and a special attendant.
- To cherish and relive these special moments down memory lane, a group photograph of all guests is taken and provided as souvenir at the end of the journey.
- There is a lounge on each saloon for relaxing, reading or simply feasting on the country side scenery. There is also a library fitted in this luxury train.
- Your luggage is collected and taken to your salon without you worrying about the transfer.
- A mailbox is provided onboard for efficient delivery of your mails onboard.
- Doctor can be arranged at the next station and first aid is available onboard.
- All the leading dailies and periodicals are offered with the morning cup of tea.
- Safety arrangements are made for you and your belongings in the Deccan Odyssey itself.
- Special smoking areas are also there for the guests who love to smoke.
- There’s wide collection of CDs and MP3 on Deccan Odyssey, available on request.
- Packaged water will be provided for all guests on board, in the coach, in the hotels, and even during sightseeing trips on a complimentary basis.
- On the completion of the tour, assistance will be given on travel arrangements.
- Voltage available on the train 110/230 V.
- Online booking and through agents facilities are available for the Deccan Odyssey.
- To take care of all your travel needs, an attendant is available at your disposal throughout the journey.
- An electronic safe is provided in each cabin to keep all your valuables. Should you forget your code, please contact the General Manager on the Train.
Detailed Itinerary of Deccan Odyssey Luxury Train Tour
Day 1: Mumbai
- The royal sojourn on Deccan Odyssey starts from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai. Dinner and overnight onboard the Odyssey. The Train heads for Sindhudurg.
Day 2: Sindhudurg
- Morning arrive at Sindhudurg Nagari Railway station. Breakfast onboard the train.
- Transfer to Malvan Jetty by Air-conditioned bus. Disembark and enjoy a boat ride up to Sindhudurg sea fort, a seventeenth century naval fort of Marathas.
- Return to jetty and proceed to Tarkarli beach. Explore silvery beach along the Konkan coast. Relish on lunch at a Tarkarli beach resort. Enjoy some leisure time here.
- Later bus ride to Dhamapur village to visit Bhagwati temple. Enroute you will stop to visit a local Cashew Factory.
- Dinner and overnight stay onboard the train.
Day 3: Goa
- Morning arrive at Karmali Railway Station.
- After breakfast embark on Goa sightseeing trip. Visit attractions like Basilica of Bom Jesus, Se Cathedral, the Church of St. Francis of Assisi and a museum of Goan antiques, St Augustine Church, and Fontanhas – the Latin quarters at Panjim.
- Enjoy lunch and leisure time aboard the Deccan Odyssey while it is stationed at the Verna Railway station.
- Depart for a beach side dinner and cultural night experience.
- Post-dinner proceed towards Madgaon Railway Station.
- Entrain the Deccan Odyssey and later proceed towards Kolhapur.
Day 4: Kolhapur
- Morning alight at Kolhapur city.
- Post-breakfast; enjoy a bus ride till the major sightseeing attractions housed here. Visit the New Palace, a royal palace now partly converted into museum, Bhawani Mandap, and Mahalaxmi temple.
- Also visit the Shalini Palace and take delight in the traditional martial art performances and cultural programmes and visit the handicraft stalls for an insight into the heritage of the place.
- Return to the luxury train to depart for the next destination – Daulatabad.
- Enjoy lunch and some leisure time aboard the train.
- Dinner to be served onboard.
Day 5: Daulatabad
- In the morning you will reach at the Daulatabad station.
- Visit the historical Daulatabad Fort followed by a visit to the famous Ellora caves.
- Arrive in Aurangabad for Lunch.
- Savor on the sumptuous lunch and take delight in some leisure time at the hotel.
- Embark on local sightseeing trips and visit the Bibi-Ka-Maqbara monument.
- Visit the local markets for some unique shopping experiences.
- Return to the Deccan Odyssey train to move in to the next destination, Chandrapur.
- The must-visit attraction here is the Tadoba Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Dinner will be served onboard the train.
Day 6: Chandrapur
- In the morning, alight at Chandrapur railway station, after enjoying a leisurely breakfast onboard.
- Lunch and leisure onboard the luxury train.
- Board a bus to reach the Tadoba Wildlife Sanctuary, the second largest tiger reserve in India. Guests will be taken across the sanctuary in open jeeps.
- Return to the train for rest and a lavish dinner. The train will then proceed towards Bhusawal, the gateway to the Ajanta Caves.
Day 7: Ajanta Caves and Nashik
- In the morning, disembark at the Bhusawal railway station.
- Board bus to visit the renowned Buddhist caves of Ajanta, where you’ll marvel at some of the finest cave paintings and sculptures of 2nd century BC to 7th century AD.
- In the afternoon, board the train at Jalgaon railway station. Lunch to be served on board. Later, proceed toward Nashik.
- Major sites of attractions in Nashik are the Panchawati Ghat and the medieval temples such as the Kala Ram Temple.
- Arrive at the Deolali Railway Station to depart for Mumbai, your port of disembarkation.
- Dinner to be served aboard.
- Depart for Mumbai.
- The luxury train will soon leave for Mumbai.
Day 8: Mumbai
- After breakfast onboard checkout taking with you the memories of weeklong majestic journey
*The above mentioned itinerary of the Deccan Odyssey is subject to change without prior information.
Contact for Booking Deccan Odyssey Tour:
|Deccan Odyssey Head Office
Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation Ltd. (A Govt. of Maharashtra Undertaking)
Express Towers, 9th Floor,
Nariman Point, Mumbai-400 021.
TEL: +91 22 202 4482/ 4522 / 4584, 22044040
FAX: +91 22 202 4521
Website: www.maharashtratourism.gov.in Official website of Deccan Odyssey: http://www.thedeccanodysseyindia.com