Surat is the gem of Gujarat and is also known as The Diamond City and The Textile City of India. Situated on the banks of River Tapti, Surat is a fast developing cosmopolitan. The city is renowned for cutting and polishing diamonds and also ranks in the production of Silk and other fabrics. Surat has strong roots in history and culture.
Top Tourist Places to Visit in Surat
- Dumas Beach: The beautiful beach overlooking the Arabian Sea is a hot favourite of the tourists and locals alike. Sprawling for about 2 km and renowned for its beautiful clear horizons and sunsets the beach is a popular sightseeing destination in Surat. On the beach, you can relish roadside eateries. Jagdish Chandra Bose Aquarium: The underwater aquarium is home to more than a hundred fish species. The jellyfish pool and the shark tank are the prime attractions here.
- Science Centre: This is one of the most spectacular projects in Surat. It amuses both the kids and adults. The Science centre houses a planetarium, an art gallery, a museum, an amphi-theatre and an auditorium. There is a solar plant on the roof of the centre that generates power.
- Surat Castle: The old fort stands tall on the edges of River Tapi and sprawls over an acre. The castle was constructed in the 16th century for protecting the city against the Portugal invasions. The castle top gives a view of the town and the River Tapi.
- Hazira: 8 km from the Arabian Sea Shore lies Hazira. It is an essential port of India and a home to some very well-known companies in the region.
- Chintamani Jain Temple: It is said that the temple was built in the reign of Aurangzeb and contained works of Jain Acharya Hemachandra. The temple is a real treasure of art, and you can touch paintings by hand.
- Bardoli: Bardoli is the origin for the ‘The Dandi March’. It is famous for its connections with history. Also, Suvali beach is renowned as a picnic destination. The beach is famous for its black sand.
- Dutch Garden: The garden is a part of the Dutch Cemetery. The beautiful tombs of the Dutch officers are ironically beautiful. The garden is famous for maintained gardens and is a haven to walk amidst the shrubs and plants.
- Swaminarayan Temple: The temple is located on the banks of River Tapti. There are three shrines within the temple. The first shrine is dedicated to Radha-Krishna Dev and Harikrishna Maharaj; the second one is devoted to Gunatitanand Swami, Lord Swaminarayan and Gopalanand Swami whereas the third one is dedicated to Shri Ghanshyam Maharaj.
- Gavier Lake: The Surat Municipal Corporation protects the wetlands of the Gavier Lake. The lake is a part of the Nature Club protection and is a paradise for bird watchers.
Log onto traveldealsfinder and book your Surat tour package by MakeMyTrip, Club Mahindra, SOTC, Travel Masti, Travel Guru, Cleartrip and many more.