Bijapur, aka Vijayapura-the city of victory, was found in the 10th and 11th century by the Chalukyas. Its name was changed during the 14th century when Adil Shah ruled it. Most famous monuments of the city were constructed at this time. The influence of multiple dynasties made it a cultural hub.
Top Tourist Places to Visit in Bijapur
- Gol Gumbaz : This is the mausoleum of the Sultan of Bijapur. Its 51 metres high dome covering 18000 square feet is the second largest in the world and one of the most impressive structures.
- Ibrahim Rauza : Inspired by the architecture of the Taj Mahal, the mausoleum is built on a single slab of rock and is a marvel of Persian-Muslim architecture.
- Malik-e-Maidan : Translated as the Monarch of the Plains, it is the most massive mounted medieval canons across the globe. It weighs around 55 tons and is 4 metres wide. Its outer diameter features a lion’s head with an elephant in its teeth.
- Jami Masjid : This is the largest mosque in South India and covers an area of 116,300 sq feet. The brilliant design features beautifully crafted interiors with paintings and murals.
- Upli Buruj : The watchtower was built in the 16th century by Hyder Khan. It stands 24 meters high and offers spellbinding views of the city around.
- Gagan Mahal : Adil Shah built the sky palace in the 16th century. Arches and a large central arch characterize the mahal.
Check out the latest travel packages to Bijapur, from various travel companies in India. Travel Deals Finder brings you best and latest flights, hotels in Bijapur and travel packages, tour package deals to Bijapur. Get exclusive deals on Bijapur Christmas, New Year packages, honeymoon getaways and Bijapur family holiday vacation packages with discount offers.