Kannur was earlier known as Cannanore. It is a picturesque city located in Southern Kerala. Some believe that the town got its name from the word 'Kannan' that refers to the Lord. During the British Raj, it was a port and hub of exports. Owing to some of the myths, legends and vibrant heritage - Kannur is also known as the ‘crown of Kerala’. One should visit a holiday in Kannur to explore its stunning beaches, forts, temples, churches and monuments.
The five places that you cannot afford to miss when in Kannur are Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach, Fort St. Angelos, Parassinikkadavu Snake Park, Arakkal Museum, Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary.
Top Tourist Places to Visit in Kannur
- Kannur Beach - A group of five beaches - Payyambalam Beach, Meenkunnu Beach, Adikadalayi Beach, Baby Beach and Thayyil Beach together make the Kannur Beach. Amongst these, the Payyambalam beach is the most popular amongst tourists. It is secluded, peaceful and tucked in the lap of nature. The beach showcases flat laterite cliffs and a massive sculpture of a mother and child.
- Muzhappilangad drive-in beach - With a coastal stretch of 5.5 km this is Asia longest beach. It has also made its place in top drive-in beaches in the world. Located adjacent to NH 66, the beach is a primary attraction amongst the youth.
- Fort St. Angelo - Known as the Kannur fort, Fort St. Angelo is a world heritage site. It was built by the first and foremost Portuguese Viceroy of India - Dom Francisco de Almeida.
- Arakkal Museum - It is dedicated to the only Muslim royal family in the state - The Arakkal family. Located in the premises of the Arakkal Royal Palace, it showcases heritage furniture, antiques, art, silver, weapons, and objects depicting the royal family's life.
- Muthappan Temple - Situated on the banks of Valapattanam river and dedicated to Sree Muthappan, Muthappan Temple is famous because of its unique worshipping style.
The other places worth visiting in Kannur include Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary, Madayipara, and the best backwater treat Kavvayi Islands.
Kannur will leave you smitten in love. Book your Kannur holiday package from traveldealsfinder today itself.