India is a very fascinating country and an important tourism destination in the world. It is predominantly known for its rich cultural heritage attractions along with other attractions like natural sites, wildlife sanctuaries & national parks, fairs & festivals, hill stations, etc. The beautiful country of India attracts a large gathering of tourists from all over the world with its heritage attractions. In this country there are many UNESO World Heritage cultural and natural sites. You will surly love to visit, explore and relish the Indian heritage attractions.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India are —
• Taj Mahal (1983) – It is located on the banks of Yamuna River in Agra, Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
• Ellora Caves (1983) – It is also located near Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
• Fatehpur Sikri (1986) – It is located near Agra, Uttar Pradesh. Key attractions of Fatehpur Sikri are Buland Darwaza (the largest gateway in the world), Panch Mahal and Birbal Mahal.
• Churches and Convents of Goa (1986) – They are known for colonial art & architectures.
• Khajuraho Group of Monuments (1986) – It is located in the state of Madhya Pradesh, Central India. It is known for its erotic temples and sculptures.
• Elephanta Caves (1987) – It is located on Elephanta Islands of Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is famous for architecturally beautiful cave temples. From Gateway of India (Mumbai), tourists can take boat ride to access the Elephanta caves.
• Great Living Chola Temples (1987) – This heritage site is located in South India and its neighboring islands. The sites three 11th & 12th century temples – he Brihadisvara Temple at Thanjavur, the Brihadisvara Temple at Gangaikondacholisvaram and the Airavatesvara Temple at Darasuram.
• Pattadakal Group of Monuments (1987) – Located in the state of Karnataka, this historical site is known for its 7th and 8th century art & architecture.
• Sanchi Buddhist Monuments (1989) – Located in Madhya Pradesh, this heritage site is known for Sanchi Stupa.
• Humayun’s Tomb (1993) – It is located in Delhi, the capital city of India. Built in 1570, it was the first garden tomb monument in the Indian subcontinent. Known for its architectural brilliance, this tomb monument was built by Humayun’s widow, Hamida Begum.
• Qutub Minar Complex (1993) – Located in Delhi (capital of India), it is the longest brick minaret in the world. It is known for the longest minaret and other ruins of other ancient monuments.
• Mountain Railways of India (1999) – This heritage site includes three mountain railways – Darjeeling Himalayan Mountain Railway in West Bengal, Nilgiri Mountain Railway in Tamil Nadu and Kalka Shimla Mountain Railway in Himachal Pradesh.
• Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka (2003) – This heritage site is located in the foothills of the Vindhyan Mountains on the southern edge of the central Indian plateau. The site is popular among tourists with the exquisite rock paintings.
• Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park (2004) – Located in the state of Gujarat, it is famous for archaeological, historic and living cultural heritage properties.
• Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (2004) – Formerly known as the Victoria Terminus it is located in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is the major railway station in the city.
• Red Fort Complex (2007) – Located in Delhi (capital of India), it is one of the most visited tourist attractions of India. It is the symbol of independent India and known for its architectural excellence. The complex houses many palaces, mosque, and museums.
Besides, India has 5 natural sites which are also listed as UNESCO World Heritage sites. They are Kaziranga National Park (1985) in Assam, Keoladeo Ghana National Park (1985) in Rajasthan, Manas Wildlife Sanctuary (1985) in Assam, Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks (1988) in Uttarakhand and Sunderbans National Park (1987) in West Bengal.
These heritage attractions of India attract a large gathering of tourists from all over the world for fascinating India tours and travels. These are major attractions of many India tour packages. On your India holidays you will too have brilliant opportunity to explore some of these heritage attractions of India. After exploring the heritage attractions in India you will have an enduring experience of tourism.
Rajesh Kumar is an eminent analyst and writer in India Travel & Tourism related topics. He has authored many books on tour guide for India Holidays and India tour packages. Find more packages at http://www.indianluxurytours.net/
To Get the latest 2023 quote for this "India Tours – Heritage Attractions of India Tourism" travel deal package, contact our travel agent by this Travel Booking Form
Note: The rates mentioned in this package are lowest and subject to change without prior notice. The peak season rates are different as mentioned here, kindly contact the travel agent before booking.
If you have not decided yet or wants to customize tour itinerary or hotels listed above in "India Tours – Heritage Attractions of India Tourism", then we can change the travel itinerary and make a personalized, tailor-made holiday package, especially for you. We can modify this travel package as per your itinerary, budget, duration and the tourist places you would like to visit, including transportation and airfare should be included or not. Please fill the form below to contact us.