Kanyakumari is a meeting point of three water bodies and a place where different cultures, religions and ideas meet. The city’s allure and charm is a prime attraction for tourists. Blessed with stunning temples, historical monuments and gorgeous beaches, here’s a list of best places in Kanyakumari you must explore at least once in a lifetime.
Top Tourist Places to visit in Kanyakumari
- Vivekananda Rock Memorial : This is a small beautiful island where Swami Vivekananda attained enlightenment in 1892. The moment you enter, you can feel the spiritual vibes and serenity taking over you. You can sit and meditate in the quiet Dhyan Mandapam or gaze in awe at the meeting point of three mighty. You can easily reach the island by ferry service.
- Thiruvalluvar Statue : Close to the Vivekananda rock memorial is the towering stone statue of Thiruvalluvar - Tamil poet and philosopher. This particular place has great cultural significance, and it is one of the most popular sightseeing places in Kanyakumari.
- Bhagavathy Amman Temple : Locals know it as Devi Kanyakumari temple. It is amongst the 108 Shakti peethas in India and dates back to 3000 years. Goddess Kanya Kumari with a sparkling diamond nose pin is the most remarkable features of this holy shrine.
- Gandhi Mandapam : Mahatma Gandhi’s sacred ashes were kept here before being immersed in the sea. The contemporary built Mandapam borrows elements from the Orissa style of architecture.
- Kanyakumari Beach : The beach witnesses confluence of the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea. The differently coloured sand, sunrise and sunset views, the lighthouse and Vivekananda memorial, make it a perfect location for capturing some picture-perfect moments.
- Thanumalayan Temple : It is the only temple in the world where the holy trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are enshrined as a single deity (called Sthanumalayan). There is also a towering 22 feet Hanuman statue that is one of the highest in India. This temple is an excellent example of South Indian architecture with gopurams, exquisite carvings, musical pillars and spiritual aura.
- Padmanabhapuram Palace : The teakwood palace dates back to the 16th century. It the most beautiful example of the ancient science of carpentry - Taccusastra. The elegant interiors of this palace will take your breath away.
- Our Lady of Ransom Church : A sight to behold, the church is located at a walking distance from the beach.
- Vattakottai Fort : At a 40-minute drive out of Kanyakumari, this old fort is located in a very scenic spot.
- Mathur Aqueduct : 60 km away from Kanyakumari city, the 100-feet aqueduct is surrounded by lush greenery. Awe-inspiring in every way, it is built across the Pahruli River as a drought relief measure.
Book a delightful Kanyakumari tour package on traveldealsfinder. On the portal, you get to choose packages by IRCTC, Thomas Cook, Kesari and package offer from various travel companies in India. Travel Deals Finder brings you best and latest flights, hotels in Kanyakumari and Tamil Nadu Travel Packages, tour package deals to Kanyakumari. Get exclusive deals on Kanyakumari Christmas, New Year packages, honeymoon getaways and Kanyakumari family holiday vacation packages with discount offers.