Thenmala is nestled at the conjunction of the Kollam-Shenkottai road and the Trivandrum-Shenkottai Road. This town in Kerala boasts of India's first planned Ecotourism destination. It has about 10 Ecotourism spots that cover everything from hill ranges of Thiruvananthapuram, Pathanamthitta and Kollam districts.
‘Thenmala’ means 'Honey Hill' and believe it or not, its high-quality honey is exported from here. The dense forest in its vicinity is known for the timber that is in demand throughout the country. Thenmala terrain is dotted by forests, rubber and tree plantations and was accoladed by the World Tourism Organisation as one of the best eco-friendly projects in the world.
Top Tourist Places to Visit in Thenmala
- Thenmala Dam - It is one of the most extended reservoirs and a favourite tourist spot in Kerala. The dam was constructed near the confluence of rivers Shenduruny, Kazhuthurutty and Kulathupuzha, under the Kallada irrigation and Tree Crop Development Project.
- Palaruvi Waterfall - Palaruvi means ‘stream of milk’. Located close to Thenmala, the waterfall drops from an elevation of 300 ft.
- Suspension Bridge - The 400 ft long bridge is located in Panaular Town. It was constructed in 1877-78 across the Kallada River.
- Butterfly Safari Park - Different types of flower and fauna decorate this Safari Park. The life cycle of the butterfly is thoroughly explained here. Zones are demarcated from eggs to the final stage.
- Musical Dancing Fountain - It is one of the prime attractions in Thenmala.
- Nakshatra Vanam - Thenmala Ecotourism society maintains this nursery of trees.
- Aryankavu Sastha Temple - Dedicated to Lord Ayyappa, the temple is constructed 35 ft below the road level.
- Kulathupuzha Sastha Temple - Raja of Pandalam, constructed the temple. Lord Manikandan is worshipped here.
- Madathara - Tropical Botanic Garden of India, Forest Training School and Rocket Propulsion Centre at Valiamala are some of the attractions in this small village.
- Shenduruny Wildlife Sanctuary - Here you can stay amidst the jungle in camping houses. It is a memorable experience.
Enjoy a memorable holiday in Thenmala by booking your Kerala Tour Package on traveldealsfinder. On our portal, we have packages curated by tours and travel companies like IRCTC Tourism, Travel XP, Indian Railways and many more.